Speaking about the drought, I just learned about a new ‘green’ blog called Green Prophet .
I highly recommend it — here are some sentences from it about water use —
- 40% of the world’s population is expected to live in water scarce-regions by 2025.
- 27% of the urban population in the developing world does not have piped water in its house.
- Globally, we use 70% of our water sources for agriculture and irrigation, and only 10% on domestic uses.
- Total electricity consumption of the water and wastewater sectors will grow 33% in the next 20 years.
- 99.7% of all the water on earth is not available for human and animal consumption.
- 52% of total global water desalination occurs in the Middle East. http://www.greenprophet.com/2012/12/masdar-blogging-competition/#sthash.lgbN0zba.dpuf